Tuesday 29 January 2013

make your own chilli jam

Tracklement's Chilli Jam is the best. Its combination of heat and sweetness is perfect for cheese (especially Whitestone) and I also love it on halloumi wraps. However, unfortunately, it's not available in Australia. Well, this fact plus the abundance of chilli in our garden led me to only one conclusion: make my own. I searched for recipes but none of them seemed quite right. (The first recipe I tried was more like a relish than a jam, another sounded too spicy, etc.) So, I decided to make up something based on Tracklement's list of ingredients. Here's what I came up with: 300g sugar, 300ml vinegar, 100g chilli, 100g red capsicum, 100g onion, juice of 1 lemon, 1 clove garlic, pinch salt. I blitzed the chilli, capsicum, onion and garlic until fine and then heated it up in a saucepan. Then, I squeezed in the lemon juice, followed by the salt and then the sugar. When the sugar had dissolved I poured in the vinegar and boiled the mixture for ten minutes or so. Altogether, I'm pleased with how it turned out. The colour, shine and taste is right, although it is a little too thick, so maybe take it off the heat a little earlier, perhaps when it's still quite runny. Also, I'd recommend removing some/all of the chilli seeds before blitzing if you want a warming heat rather than an eye-popping heat. I think it will do nicely until I can get my mitts on more Tracklement's! What do you think? Would you give it a try?

6 comments:

Linds said...

Yum! Looks amazing! Will have to try making some myself. X

mel said...

nice work!!! it totally looks just like tracklements!

Amanda said...

Hey I am planning to make some for my other half - what kind of vinegar did you use? Thanks

Amanda said...

Also which kind of sugar and how many jars did this make? Thanks

Heidi Adnum said...

I used white vinegar and regular white sugar. I'm not sure how many jars it made in total; at a guess I'd say around six.

Micheal Alexander said...

I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today.  Chilli Jam