Friday 14 May 2010

the gallery: men

On a recent trip to Istanbul, something that really stood out was the Turkish men. At first they looked rugged and stern but it seems that's just the outside. Apparently Turkish men are known to be very family-focused and comfortably in touch with their sensitive side (I understand it's not uncommon for two young male friends to walk arm in arm down the street). I love these four pictures, which, to me, all show a touch of sensitivity (or even femininity) and tell a little story...
This was taken in Galata just near closing time. I love how relaxed he is and the contrast of the yellow flowers against the beer crates and big, burly motor bike. 
I was waiting for Will (who was in line to buy Turkish coffee outside the Spice Market) when this man stood next to me. He had stepped aside his stall to enjoy his afternoon tea. Despite being a metal-wares seller and sporting spiky facial hair, he loves tea with the standard two white sugar cubes, stirred slowly and delicately in a dainty cup and floral saucer - like most of the other Turkish men we came across. 
This little angel had been screaming for the previous five minutes in Hagia Sofia. Her dad knew what exactly what to do, though, holding her gently until she eventually fell asleep.
This guy was great. We had just bought from him a bag of fresh pistachio nuts to snack on. He was so smily and friendly, I just had to have a photo of him. Well, he loved that idea, enthusiastically smiled and gave us a few free samples (apricots, dates...)! Before we left he dug out his brag book - full of photos of celebrity customers - and flipped to a photo of him with Sting - I love that he's in sunglasses and a cap! - and proudly asked "know him?!".
Do you know any Turkish men? What are they like? Tara Cain sets a theme each week for you, me, and anybody else who'd like to take part and share our pictures with each other in 'The Gallery' project. Photos: Heidi Adnum

11 comments:

Absolutely Ladylike said...

Such lovely details about Turkish men, dear Heidi.

I have a Turkish male friend and will definitely link this post to him...I'm sure he will love it :-)

Cheers: Evi

hip hip gin gin said...

Lovely photos!! That last gentleman has such a warm, genuine smile!

MrsVikkitoria said...

What great photos and a great post to go with them. My father has a second home in Turkey and would whole heartedly agree with what you say about Turkish men from your experiences. They have many traits others should wish to follow (though a little less smoking maybe? ;-)

MD x

Diana Mieczan said...

Such lovely post and the photos are amazing. Those really show the soft side....Hmmm so interesting!
Have a lovely day :)
Kisses

Silver Strands said...

Awww ... love the daddy & child one Heidi.

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

Great insight into the Turkish male gender ~ I tend to agree completely.

Heidi Adnum said...

Thank you! So glad you all enjoyed the post.

Californian Mum in London said...

Love the pics, they really take me back to my own trip to Istanbul!

Harriet said...

Oh! I love that sleepy picture. That's the one I've been trying to take but keep failing. Well done you!

Irrum said...

Brings back some memories of my trip to Istanbul! You may also have noticed Heidi, turkish men have the smartest shoes in town! The dainty cup pic is my favourite - have a few such men in my family :)
xx

Heidi Adnum said...

Thank you! So glad you liked them.